Monday, April 1, 2013

Easter

Hello Friends! 
I hope your week is already off to a great start. Mine miraculously managed to include an oil change, a state inspection AND a car wash...on a Monday... executed by me... on a Monday.
My sweet sweet dear wonderful husband has really taken most of those duties off of my hands pretty much since we got married but for some reason today I was feeling productive, oh and the oil change place was right next door to Hobby Lobby.... where I was shopping.... and got a super cute trellis for my purple hull peas for 40% off. Moving on.
This past weekend was Easter and we decided to stay in Houston, we were fortunate enough to be invited to one of our best friends house for a Easter dinner.
We woke up early and enjoyed a really moving church service at Church Project in The Woodlands, then it was hope to bake my little heart away.
I had TWO hours to make a lemon blackberry pie, a savory southwestern tart and deviled eggs...I REALLY should have prepped ahead of time. I started to photograph as i went but for those of you who have ever attempted something like this you understand that it multiplies the amount of time it takes you to do a task by (a rough estimation) a million.  So this post includes a few action shots of making a savory pastry crust, and then some finished product shots. Bear with me here, I know these posts are disjointed but I'm finding my groove again. I'll get there!



Measure out your ingredients 


Combine all the dry ingredients in your food processor. Here I've got flour, stone ground corn meal, salt, cumin, paprika, and chili powder. Give it a few pulses.


Cut your cold butter into large chunks, toss in the flour mixture, and pulse for about 15 seconds till your mixture has small pea sized butter chunks, and resembles a course meal.

Like soAdd in a couple tablespoons of ice water and pulse a few times until ...

You can use your chubby lil' hands to squeeze together the dough and...


If it holds together... YOU'RE GOLDEN!


Pour out the crumbly mass and squish together in some plastic wrap, seal it and pop it in the fridge till it's rested and chilled, about 15 minutes.


Ok once chilled, you an roll out on some flour and place in your tart or pie pan, bake for about 15 minutes. Then fill with deliciousness!


I also made my Gran's pie crust recipe.


This is a classic recipe, nice and salty, delightfully crisp and very tender!


This crust is VERY easy to work with. 


Line with INDUSTRIAL Saran Wrap that is heat proof, fill with super EXPENSIVE pie weights...OR a $.20 bag of rice, it's whatev. Bake for about 10 minutes and remove the rice, and continue to bake the crust till it's lightly browned, then fill with whatever you like!


I also played with some fun Easter eggs.


Awesome!


This is my finished Southwestern Tart, seriously delicious!


I Love My Friend Family!


Lemon curd, vanilla whipped cream, and fresh black berries :)


Welp! That was my Easter! I hope ya'll had just as much of an enjoyable day as we did!


LOVE YA!


No comments:

Post a Comment