Friday, June 15, 2012

Photography

So between my iPhone, my point and shoot and my (big girl) canon t2i, I Lauren, am a self proclaimed photo-holic.
I've always been one to drool over old family photos or ask to hear all the stories behind photo albums. I love the way, that like a smell or taste, you recognize something and for that one moment you are transported back to a different time. A time with friends, or a time on vacation. In my case the 8,764,485,792 billion seconds I spend with Dory.
(she's my favorite subject, she tends to hang around...)

All throughout college I absolutely stinkin ADORED my little point and shoot Casio Exilim! Everyone in our group of friends always knew that no matter what we were doing; be it studying, hanging out, going to North Gate it was going to be recorded. Which was fun. You have certain friends that understand, they also enjoy being able to look back and remember. They appreciate the flash in their eyes (Mel), and the "OK, one... two... three!" Then there are those who groan the instant they see you reaching for something even remotely camera shaped (Josh). Those are some of my favorite people to take pictures of, they make the best faces. They may be stink faces but they are faces none the less.
Alas as college went on, my durable, sturdy, incredible point-n-shoot finally kicked the bucket. After that first one none of the rest really seemed to hold a battery life, respond quick enough or just took "wonky" photos. While in culinary school, I had two small cameras, one for action shots, anything that would require me to take consecutive shots, and one just for up close "in your cupcake" pictures. The one that took the best pictures took so stinking long to load once it was finished, the next photo op had already dissipated. So in the years following culinary school I pretty much stuck with my point and shoot I found on woot.com.
Until the day that changed my life, my glorious iPhone entered my hands and my heart forever. I was....and still am a photo taking fool! I currently have 4,280 photos on my phone.... I'm serious. This is no exaggeration. I literally have more photos than music on there! I love how easy it is to take such incredible photos with my phone and then *almost* professionally edit them using instagram.
Funnily enough however I just recently got into instagram. Obviously I'm 100% sucked in. I believe I posted 5 or 6 photos all in the first day.


As of this past birthday I have acquired a "real" camera. My amazing husband, decided to splurge and get me a canon rebel t2i. I'm  so excited! I've only had this sucker for two weeks and I've already taken and saved* over 300 photos!
*I'm sure I've deleted about 4,000 "unworthy" photos.
I'm fascinated with learning all the intricacies that come along with digital photography. I want to learn to take amazing pictures. I want to have the really extra crazy fancy version of Photoshop. I want to be able to take those engagement style photos, that have that cool washed out, but bright, somehow vintage/modern at the same time effect.
I WANT THAT.
This is a photo of my cousin's beautiful daughter the day I got my camera.

(PS, I honestly feel sorry for my poor future children, their lives will be documented so incredibly closely I believe we might actually be able to watch their hair grow)
I look forward to baby photo shoots, and Dory/baby pictures. I look foreword to being able to show Brian more than just where "the button" is at.
So hopefully this blog will be an opportunity for me to share my growth, and progression through my learning process!



1 comment: